Current:Home > MarketsTV Host Jesse Baird and Luke Davies Murder Case: Police Find Bodies of Missing Couple -Capitatum
TV Host Jesse Baird and Luke Davies Murder Case: Police Find Bodies of Missing Couple
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 07:29:41
An Australian murder investigation has a heartbreaking development.
Over a week after Jesse Baird, 26, and his boyfriend Luke Davies, 29, went missing in New South Wales (NSW), police believe they found the bodies of the two men. The update in case comes after their suspected murderer, 28-year-old police officer Beaumont Lamarre-Condon, who previously dated Baird, disclosed the location of the bodies.
"We are very confident that we have located Luke and Jesse," NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb said during a press conference on Feb. 27. "This information did come with the assistance of the accused, for which we are very grateful and I'm sure the families are very grateful."
Detective Superintendent Daniel Doherty said during the conference that the bodies were discovered in two surf bags covered in debris on a property in the town of Bungonia.
Baird and Davies were last seen in Baird's home on Feb. 19. Fears for their safety then arose after some of their belongings were discovered bloodied in a skip container about 18 miles away, per CNN. The outlet also reported that Lamarre-Condon was subsequently arrested and charged with the couple's murder on Feb. 22 after a "projectile" and a fired cartridge that matched the officer's police-issued firearm were found in Baird's home.
According to CBS News, police suspect that Lamarre-Condon first dumped the bodies on Feb. 20 with the assistance of an unnamed acquaintance—who police clarified was not an accomplice and was unaware of what they were transporting. He then allegedly returned the following day to move the bodies a second time, fearing the acquaintance would reveal details about where they'd gone.
Lamarre-Condon appeared in court on Feb. 22 where he was refused bail, per the BBC. He reportedly has not commented on the charges against him at this time.
The case is believed to be the first murder carried out by an NSW police officer in decades and has spurred a review of the gun handling procedures that allowed the officer to sign out his pistol to be allegedly used in the crime while off duty, per the BBC.
"We're in this position that a police firearm was used and that can never happen again," Commissioner Webb said. "We have to look to ways to mitigate that risk in whatever way we can."
Though the crime was believed to be one of passion, the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras organizers have asked that police not participate in their annual parade in just a few days.
Though Webb and organizers met on Feb. 26 and held a "very respectful" discussion about the decision, per CBS, the board has decided to stand by its decision, which it said in a statement "was not made lightly."
The statement continued, "especially considering that many NSW Police members who participate in the Parade are also members of the LGBTQIA+ community and are navigating the impact of this tragedy alongside us. However, we believe that their participation at this year's event could intensify the current feelings of sorrow and distress."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (85977)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Saturday Night Live’s Chloe Fineman Addresses “Mean” Criticism of Her Cannes Look
- When does 'Bridgerton' Season 3 Part 2 come out? Release date, cast, how to watch new episodes
- Man wins $362,000 while celebrating 21st birthday at Las Vegas casino
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- The Best Father's Day Gifts to Impress Every Dad in Your Life
- Scheffler starts his day in jail, then finds peace and a chance to win in the midst of all the chaos
- San Francisco Giants outfielder Jung Hoo Lee to have season-ending shoulder surgery
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Man accused of shooting Slovak prime minister had political motivation, minister says
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Shohei Ohtani Day to be annual event in Los Angeles for duration of his Dodgers career
- 6 people killed, 10 others injured in Idaho when pickup crashes into passenger van
- Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck Are Living Apart Amid Breakup Rumors
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- New app allows you to send text, audio and video messages to loved ones after you die
- Paul Skenes nearly untouchable: Phenom tosses six no-hit innings, beats Cubs in second MLB start
- Houston in 'recovery mode' after storm kills 4, widespread power outages
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
NCAA softball tournament bracket, schedule, scores on road to Women's College World Series
Kendall Jenner Spotted at Ex Bad Bunny's Concert Following Met Gala After-Party Reunion
Houston in 'recovery mode' after storm kills 4, widespread power outages
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
A brief history of Knicks' Game 7s at Madison Square Garden as they take on Pacers Sunday
Ex-Honolulu prosecutor and five others found not guilty in bribery case
Taco Bell brings back beloved Cheesy Chicken Crispanada for limited time